Assoc Prof Helmer ASLAKSEN
Dept. of Teacher Education/Dept. of Math, University of Oslo, Norway
- National University of Singapore, Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor in the Department of Mathematics, 1989–2011.
- University of Oslo, Norway, visiting researcher, 2006.
- University of California, Berkeley, USA, sabbatical, 2004–2005.
- University of California, San Diego, USA, sabbatical, 1997–1998.
- FFI (Norwegian Defence Science Research Establishment), Research Assistant as part of military service in Norway, 1988–1989.
- University of California, Berkeley, USA, Teaching Assistant in the Department of Mathematics, Instructor in Teaching Assistant Training Workshop and Residence Hall Tutor, 1982–1988.
- University of Oslo, Norway, Teaching Assistant in the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Economics, 1979–1982.
Prof John STERMAN
Jay W. Forrester Professor of Management, MIT Sloan School of Management & Professor, MIT Institute for Data, Systems, and Society
He is also the Director of the MIT System Dynamics Group and the MIT Sloan Sustainability Initiative.
Sterman’s research centers on improving decision-making in complex systems, including corporate strategy and operations, energy policy, public health, environmental sustainability, and climate change. His work ranges from the dynamics of organizational change and the implementation of sustainable improvement programs to climate change and the implementation of policies to promote a sustainable world. Sterman pioneered the development of “management flight simulators” of corporate and economic systems which are now used by corporations, universities, and governments around the world.
He is the author of many scholarly and popular articles on the challenges and opportunities facing organizations today, including the book, Modeling for Organizational Learning, and the award-winning textbook, Business Dynamics.
Sterman holds an AB in engineering and environmental systems from Dartmouth College and a PhD in system dynamics from MIT.
Prof Sterman delivered a Public Lecture at the Shaw Foundation Alumni House Auditorium on 10 December 2018 entitled Is There Hope on Climate Change? Building a Prosperous, Sustainable Society in a Warming World. More details available here.