Arts Night 2022: Otra Vez

Arts Night 2022 (2)

Arts Night 2022: Otra Vez

22nd February 2022, 7pm-9.30pm

Through Arts Night 2022, RC4 hopes to cultivate a vibrant arts culture in our college and spur greater appreciation for the arts among residents and alumni. Due to prevailing safe-management measure resulted from COVID-19 pandemic, the event was held with live audiences and online streaming watching recorded performances.

With the COVID-19 pandemic bringing disruptions to our lives and conventional activities, the Arts Night 2022 committee set out to create an immersive experience that allowed all to take a momentary breather from work and spend the night reminiscing about the past with us. Henceforth, the theme of Arts Night 2022 was retro and the proposed name was Otra Vez: Remember the Night. A Spanish phrase meaning "once again" or "encore", we hope that Arts Night 2022 will be one that brings all audiences and performers back to the good old days and a night for all to remember.

This year, we have seen new interest group, ORC4pella, performing an a cappella piece and a dance group from House of Noctua, NCTua, performing K-Pop medley! Talented Sam had also showed the audiences his wonderful skills on performing technically complex on diabolos!

Arts Night 2022 (4)
Arts Night 2022 (1)

There was a common purpose and goal amongst the committee members and performers, which was to put up an unforgettable and exhilarating night for the residents.

During planning, we had to constantly think out-of-the-box in order to generate ideas that abide by the safe management measures without compromising on the audiences' experience. Nevertheless, these challenges definitely served as good opportunities for growth for the organising committee.

The active participation from the lifestyle interest groups and the audiences, both physical and online, is truly the embodiment of a sense of togetherness in RC and I am beyond grateful for this event.

Huang Qingyi

Project Director & Performer (Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Year 2)

As the Logistics Head of Arts Night, I really enjoyed being able to see how we were able to come up with great ideas for the decoration of the college, and how we then managed to make our vision come to life.

Though I lacked experience and technical expertise in constructing such props and décor, which proved to be quite a challenge to figure out the logistics and the materials needed for these items, I am incredibly thankful for my sub-committee members who worked so hard alongside me and my vice-head of Logistics, Jess, in making Arts Night 2022 a success and bring an atmosphere of nostalgia and retro to the college.

Overall, I am so thankful to have been part of the Arts Night 2022 Committee. Despite many hard times and the countless hours put in to ensure that everything went smoothly, I think it was worth it. I made so many more new friends and created so many more experiences that I wouldn't have had if I had not joined Arts Night, and I learned so much as the Logistics Head. Here's to an even better Arts Night in the year ahead!

Soh Zheng Xun

Logistics Head & Performer (Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Year 2)

The best part about Arts Night definitely was the event itself. Watching all the amazing performances that my friends and other fellow RC4 residents have showcased, paired together with the planning, decoration and program put together by the hardworking Arts Night committee, the mood was set perfectly for a fun and enjoyable night to remember.

As the Keys player in the band, it took quite a while for me to figure out the nicer melodic phrases and accompanying lines that would help make the overall music sound full and complete. Another challenge that I distinctly remember facing was in the editing of the final credits and bloopers. Those estimated 40 minutes were really one of the most adrenaline-filled times in my NUS life so far. It was exhilarating and fun.

If there is one thing that Arts Night has showcased, I think it is really the diversity and level of talent present in this Residential College. If nothing else, Arts Night 2022 was a celebration of the artistic scene in RC4.

Lim Tse Xiong Brendan

Performer and Productions Sub-committee Member (College of Design and Engineering, Year 1)
Arts Night 2022 (3)
Arts Night 2022 (5)

I enjoyed exploring a new role of being Publicity Head, coming up with a unique theme for Arts Night 2022 and watching it come to life. Working together with various talented individuals in the committee was really fun, creating vibrant designs for merchandises, decorations and posts for our Instagram page.

Lim Hui Min (Nicole)

Publicity Head & Performer (Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Year 3)

From the Otra Vez retro theme, to the jukebox and decorations in the common lounge, the tents in the MPSH, Arts Night was really a night to remember. What I love about this event is that it's really such a great platform for everyone to show their different talents (beginner or not) and at the same time show support for all your friends! Having been the emcee and a dancer for one of the performances, I got the chance to step out of my comfort zone and most importantly, have so much fun in doing so!

Because of this experience, I've made so many wonderful friendships and memories, which is what I'll treasure most from Arts Night 😀

Tan Li Ying Steffi

Emcee and Performer (Faculty of Dentistry, Year 1)

I loved every moment of it! From hours of practice put into the dance items, the preparations for our filming, to the final day of the screening, I love how this even brought so many people in RC4 together, whom we would not have met otherwise. We learnt so much from one another, through all the precious friendships formed through this experience. Needless to say, I'm definitely anticipating next year's Arts Night!

Chong Tze Wyne

Performer (College of Humanities and Sciences, Year 1)