Leadership at the Fringe in Lombok and Pulau Sumba, Indonesia

Leadership at the Fringe (1)

May and July 2023

In May & July 2023, as part of their Southeast Asia Friendship Initiative (SFI) course, UTC2725/UTS2712: Leadership at the Fringe, a total of 41 students joined A/P Tan Lai Yong and Dr. Li Jingping to Lombok and Pulau Sumba, Indonesia. The trip allowed the students to explore leadership at the fringe, with a focus on two United Nations Sustainable Development Goals – Food Security (Zero Hunger) and Climate Change (Climate Action).

At Desa Gangga in Lombok, our students learnt different fruit tree planting techniques from the local farmers and volunteers. After which, they used their new gained skills to plant about 100 fruit trees with the local residents. The fruit trees help the community to bring about economic benefits and reduce soil erosion along the riverbanks. While at the Tanjung Luar village in Lombok, the students interacted with the local fishermen to understand the challenges of rising sea levels, unpredictable storms, as well as ever-rising petrol costs. The students also got to see for themselves how the challenges affected the fish farmers at the fish farms, and the differences between fish farming and open-sea fishing. Our students also had the chance to engage with Mataram University students and staff in the discussions on the impact of climate change on Lombok's agricultural economy, and the importance of having sustainable strategies to counter the long-term challenges and consequences of climate change.

At Pulau Sumba, the students got to learn the renowned trade of sandalwood. The sandalwood horses were used to transport sandalwood from the mountains to the coast. It is definitely an interesting experience for the students to see and learn about the trade from the locals.

Leadership at the Fringe (4)
Leadership at the Fringe (3)
Leadership at the Fringe (7)

This trip has been an incredibly fulfilling one for me, packed with learning and filled with experiences. Not only have I learned so much about food security and food production, but I have also gained an intense appreciation for Indonesia and its diverse culture and people. I will definitely return to Indonesia not just to experience its incredible culture and welcoming people but also hopefully to contribute to helping push the sustainability frontier of its food production systems.

Dion Chua Yee Kin

Engineering Science, Year 1

This experience at Desa Gangga (Lombok) and in Indonesia cannot be replicated through readings and texts. It also reignited my love for learning languages as I picked up new phrases unique to Bahasa Indonesia. While I had previously been skeptical of the potential value of an exchange semester or a working stint in Indonesia, I am now open to these possibilities as I find that there are always new perspectives to be uncovered to broaden my horizons.

Tan Jin Wyee

Psychology, Year 1

I would definitely recommend my friends and juniors at RC4 to embark upon such a trip if given a chance. This trip gives us a good opportunity to peek into the less tourist-focused parts of Indonesia, such as Sumba and Lombok. This module does not only teach us academic lessons but lessons about leadership and community engagement that are widely applicable to life after school.

Cadence Siow Jing Xuan

Biomedical Engineering, Year 1
Leadership at the Fringe (7)
Leadership at the Fringe (4)
Leadership at the Fringe (3)

In summary, my journey to Lombok and Sumba has been an eye-opening and transformative one. I was pleasantly surprised by the experiences and insights I gained while interacting with the locals. Engaging with the GERASA Education Team and organizing activities for village children allowed me to assess my leadership abilities and shed light on the barriers to education children face in rural areas. My journey to Lombok and Sumba has not only broadened my horizons but also inspired a sense of responsibility to make a positive impact in the lives of others. The experiences, lessons, and connections formed during this trip will continue to shape my growth and influence my future actions. I am grateful for the opportunity to have embarked on this journey, and I look forward to translating my learnings into meaningful contributions to pursue a more equitable and inclusive society.

Paige Soh Si Ying

Business Administration, Year 1

In a nutshell, I found this trip profoundly enriching. I have learned many valuable lessons from our tour guides and the people we encountered. I also got to meet new friends and formed strong bonds with the friends I initially knew before the trip. It deepened my interest in farming crops and fish, and I hope that one day I will get to put them to use and contribute to the farming industry in Singapore. I am also open to furthering my studies to learn more about bioenergy during overseas trips. I also highly recommend my peers and my juniors to take part in a trip like this because it is not every day that you get to be immersed in village life and meet people from different cultures in different cities. It also helps me realize that we are very lucky that our founding father MM Lee has set targets for us to be an economic hub to allow us to have relatively stable prices and a clean environment to grow up in. It has also deepened my appreciation for the current government’s goal to push Singapore to be a self-sufficient city by 2030. If given another chance, I would eagerly embark on a similar trip, either to further explore Indonesia or venture into other parts of the world.

Ren Yun Ting

Environmental Engineering, Year 1