[Perspectives] Transitions in Discipline

Transitions in Discipline

22nd August 2023

On 22nd August 2023, RC4 alumnus, Ryan Tan, engaged students and fellows on the topic of “taking interdisciplinary beyond the classroom”. He connected his experiences from Singapore to his first year in the Graduate Program on Engineering and Policy at TU Delft in the Netherlands to demonstrate how interdisciplinary thinking can be used to reflect on life, create social purpose, and explore policy issues.

Ryan impressed me with his broad academic view and global perspective. He encouraged me to break through my academic barrier and pursue my interest in design, combining it with my domain knowledge in tech!

Cham Li Hui

School of Computing, Year 3

I found Ryan's talk particularly insightful. His experience of studying an interdisciplinary field in a foreign country shed light on the real-world relevance of interdisciplinary studies. While many of us engage in interdisciplinary learning during our university education, it can sometimes be challenging to grasp how these diverse knowledge areas can be integrated and applied effectively.

Ryan's presentation provided a valuable perspective on how interdisciplinary studies are not just confined to the classroom but can thrive in international contexts. He gave examples of how cultural sensitivity and adaptability are essential when working across borders and disciplines.

Furthermore, I appreciated how Ryan shared various examples of how he successfully utilized knowledge from various fields to address complex global issues. This underscored the significance of interdisciplinary approaches in tackling real-world challenges. In conclusion, Ryan's talk was informative as well as inspiring. He encouraged us to view interdisciplinary studies as a powerful tool for navigating the complexities of our interconnected world. After his talk, I gained a renewed sense of purpose in my own pursuit of interdisciplinary education.

Lhui Kay Kin, Clyde

School of Computing, Year 3
Transitions in Discipline