Arts Night 2024: Morph

STRL5414

Arts Night 2024: Morph

27 February 2024

On 27 February 2024, Residential College 4 (RC4) celebrated our 10th year anniversary with 'Arts Night 2024: Morph'. From its inception in 2016, RC4 Arts Night has been a nurturing ground for budding talents, providing a platform for students to step onto the stage for the first time and evolve into writers, actors, dancers, singers, musicians, and choreographers.

Arts Night 2024: Morph explored the theme of identity and introspection, symbolizing the figurative metamorphosis of ourselves as humans, and how we have grown as a Residential College over the years.

The theme, “Morph”, encapsulates the idea of constant change and transformation, served as a poignant reminder that growth stems from embracing life's fluctuations. The event was graced by Professor Shih Choon Fong, former President of the National University of Singapore (NUS), who served as the Guest of Honour.

Wilbert Christopher Kurniawan, a first-year student from the Faculty of Science and part of the Publicity Committee, expressed his vision for Arts Night: "I envisioned Morph to be a celebration of creativity and community, offering a platform for residents to showcase their talents and passions." His sentiments echoed the inclusive spirit of the event, where participants of all backgrounds and skill levels came together to create a memorable experience.

"The days leading up to the actual show, including the show itself, was the most memorable moment. During the rehearsals, I delved deep into how the complexities of creating such a show," shared Raihan Rizqullah, first-year student from the School of Computing and Head of Logistics.

This year's rendition of Arts Night showcased a diverse mix of performances from various interest groups within RC4, including RC4 Theatre, Fabrc4s, RC4ME, Or4pella, R4D, and individual performers.

From energetic K-pop dance covers, hip-hop showcases, exciting band and acapella performances to the comedic and heartwarming act by RC4Theatre, the evening was a vibrant celebration of creativity and passion, embodying the essence of RC4's dynamic arts community.

_DSF5467
_DSF4138

It was my first ever Arts Night so I didn't know what to expect, but I told myself to try to have fun while performing, which I'm glad I did! The audience were supportive and lively, which allowed me to act more light-heartedly. 

The most memorable moment for me would be when my character was able to directly interact with the audience, asking them to sing and chant together. It was particularly memorable as the inclusion of the interactive component was a last minute decision that I felt the audience really enjoyed!

Scormon Ho Rui Sheng

Performer (Faculty of Science, Year 1)

I envisioned Morph to be a celebration of creativity and community, offering a platform for residents to showcase their talents and passions. It's a space where everyone, regardless of experience and skills, can participate, whether as performers or as crews. By promoting inclusivity and fostering collaboration among different performing arts, the Publicity Committee aims to bring awareness to the performing arts scene in RC4 through the publicity of the event, both pre- and post-event efforts.

It is memorable and very fulfilling during the event day to see the various performances come to fruition. As I was part of the stage crew, it is rewarding to be able to serve the different performing groups before they come up to stage and to prepare them so as to give their best performance.

Wilbert Christopher Kurniawan

Stage Crew (Faculty of Science, Year 1)

A standout moment from Arts Night was having multiple fight scenes with a 4-metre large MOTH! Screaming, hiding, attacking, fainting, and just being way tooooo loud. :0

The biggest takeaway from participating in Arts Night was being able to stage our own original production to hundreds of our peers- it's truly an invaluable opportunity that few other RCs. The creative freedom is unparalleled where I can write my own script, design my own set, lighting, sound, costume, whatever I can get my hands on!

Charleston Chan Shiqi

Performer (CHS FASS, Year 2)
Theatre 00109

As someone who plays in a band as well, I deeply appreciate the importance for a show to run as smoothly as possible. Thus, my vision for Arts Night was to contribute towards an unforgettable experience. 

Drawing from my involvement in the Draco's Logistics House Committee, I intended to take up the role of Logistics Head for Arts Night to expand my expertise and work with new people. Admittedly, the experience encountered its fair share of challenges, with several setbacks along the way. Nonetheless, together with the other Logistics Heads and the subcommittee, we managed to fulfil the logistics requirements for the show, as well as helping out with stage hands.

All in all, I reaped invaluable lessons and insights, enriching my personal growth here in RC4.

The days leading up to the actual show, including the show itself, was the most memorable moment. During the rehearsals, I delved deep into how the complexities of creating such a show. Facilitating a seamless flow of events while minimising downtime is the most crucial yet challenging part of Arts Night. It involves coordinating the movements of large groups of performers around, managing the stage crew, moving band equipment back and forth, liaising with the POCs, amongst many others. Thus, joining Arts Night as the main comm was truly an enlightening and eye-opening experience. I gained a greater appreciation towards the behind-the-scenes of shows and concerts. I honed my ability to thrive under pressure while effectively managing groups of individuals within tight time constraints.

Raihan Rizqullah

Head of Logistics (School of Computing, Year 1)