Seeking Science!

Seeking Science (1)

Seeking Science!

1st December 2022

RC4lunteers, one of the RC4's community service interest groups, organised "Seeking Science!" to promote the children’s interest in science and engage them with fun and simple experiments. The event benefited about 40 children from FaithActs and Children's Wishing Well for a fun day-out to RC4.

Seeking Science (7)
Seeking Science (8)
Seeking Science (5)

I love working with children so interacting with the children through booth games and seeing that we could value-add to their learning in school through science-based games was really rewarding. Watching our volunteers being meaningfully engaged and the smiles on the children's faces also made my day! It's the first time our team came together to plan a physical event post COVID. Due to the tight timeline, there were some unforeseen circumstances like volunteers pulling out last minute and delays in the schedule. Nevertheless, I am thankful that the team remained supportive of one another and we managed to overcome the challenge with the help from our volunteers.

I am looking forward to spearhead more projects with my team to reach out to different beneficiaries that individuals may be keen to help, so that we can spread this joy of giving 😀 No act of kindness no matter how small is ever wasted, if you are keen to make a difference then RC4lunteers is the right place for you!

Cheryl Lee

Main Committee Member, Psychology & Social Work, Year 1

Seeking Science reminds me of my primary school science demos and experiments! I forgot how fun it was, and Seeking Science made it even more fun because we got to interact with the children and we got to see slime in the making and DIY rockets! The children we had to look after and befriend with came from different walks of life and had different personalities, which made the interactions even more vibrant and meaningful as they shared their personal stories and cheeky jokes hahah!

While there were children who may not fully appreciate the learning opportunity from Seeking Science and participated halfheartedly, I’m still glad I could spend my afternoon with them and see them leaving RC4 with big smiles:)

Graciella Christina

Volunteer, Business Administration, Year 2

This was the first time RC4lunteers held an experiential science fair. The whole event was filled with life and learning – there was an oeblock exhibition, magnetic car racing, rocket launching competition etc – it was as if we were all in a NASA space camp!

Personally, I had the chance to teach the kids (our beneficiaries) about the destructive nature of volcanoes as a form of natural disasters and chemical reactions through the hands-on experience. By modeling and celebrating their science capabilities through this activity, I was able to learn a lot from them and how they see things. I enjoyed being a part of helping them to foster their scientific inquiry and watched how they develop a sense of confidence and competence while they participate in the activity. As the kids tell their own stories, the infectious excitement that came with making their own discoveries was something really memorable to me!

Karen Kee

Main Committee Member, Accountancy, Year 1